Kaya Toast with avocado slices
Kaya Toast is very popular snack or breakfast item in South East Asia, including in Singapore and Malaysia. Fresh avocado works really well with this sweet coconut jam – kaya! It is a must try dish!
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 200 g dark palm sugar, grated
- 3-4 pandan leaves, tied into a knot
- 1 avocado, peeled, stone removed and sliced
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a pot and reduce heat to medium heat.
- Mix the egg yolks, egg and sugar in a bowl with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour coconut milk in the bowl and mix well before adding the pandan leaves
- Place the bowl on top of the pot (make sure the bowl is not touching the water underneath) and cook for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture has reduced to about 2/3, remove the bowl from heat to cool.
- Once the jam has cooled, pour into a clean jar and keep refrigerated.
- To enjoy the Kaya toast with avocado, spread butter on toast and spread the Kaya jam. Place sliced avocado on top of the toast and serve with tea or coffee!